Movement and Music: MiND, BoDY and SPiriT!

Miss Ruby Slippers shared a wonderful video with me…I thoroughly enjoyed it…the most intense aspect of the video for me was the song…I had not heard of the band Awolnation and had never seen this young man’s artistic expression of yoga and hip hop….I was deeply inspired! In fact, I dug even deeper and found out that this young chap is also a Parkour Practitioner….Very cool!

I watched one Parkour video featuring a fully grown man….he explained that he practices Parkour because he is inspired by children…how they are nieve and look at the entire world as a playground and that….because of children’s youthful and pure attitude towards life and their surroundings, they are able to accomplish incredible things with their bodies that we as adults struggle with… limiting beliefs can hold us back in many areas of life…I realize we live in a  rushed society, but I really recommend taking a few moments to watch this young chap…his confidence, his physical awareness and his mental focus are astounding! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Break ton Neck from Alex Yde on Vimeo.

“Music can also be a sensual pleasure, like eating food or sex. But its highest vibration for me is that point of taking us to a real understanding of something in our nature which we can very rarely get at. It is a spiritual state of oneness.”
Terry Riley

1. Ruby says:

His poor elbow doesn’t look to be doing so well under the strain…but he is amazing non the less and a very interesting individual, as all dancers are (ok I am biased there lol) I believe that dancers are able to see the world a little differently then many. I also believe anyone can dance at least a little and should so they can see the world from another perspective as well..

Yes, I noticed his elbow also…He is amazing…his ability to step outside the box and use his body to express himself is deeply inspiring for me. I am also blessed to enjoy the art of dance in my own way…not as a professional, but as someone who truly enjoys moving her bodfy to music…Yes, I agree, all artists have a unique view of the world…one of my daughters is an artist, but is terrified of dance…I am trying to get her out of her shell…she seems to enjoy parkour, gymnastics and all other types of movement, but dance terrifies her, which is precisely why I feel she needs to do it! hwoever, I am trying to step back and let her find dance herself..although it is hard because I love it so much!

Thank you so much Ruby for not only sharing this wonderful video, but for your heartfelt comments! From my heart to yours, Joy

2. Ruby says:

Perhaps she is terrified of whatever “idea” she has about what dance is? All babies move instinctively to music and especially to rhythms…does she have a good drum? I used to teach dance at a University and had a student who was quite sure she could not dance…yet she played the piano beautifully…I asked her if she would let me listen to her play sometime…..I was careful to say “listen” instead of “watch”….so she allowed me to watch her down in one of the music rooms…a small closed room with no one else there and a single grand piano placed on a small round platform stage. When she played she moved,….quite dramatically. It was the most amazing thing…the way she swayed and placed her hands and fingers on the keys…the delicacy and the strength, the dichotomy of pressure used to make different sounds…her foot on the pedals…. her movement was so very natural and organic and gorgeous to watch….It was, in every sense of the word, a dance.
    After this exercise….I asked her if she would play me the same piece of music again…but could she please do it with out moving so much. Could she do it, just by pushing the keys and the peddle…and she was stumped. She couldn’t do it….after that she understood what it was to really dance….to just move in an uninhibited fashion either to music…or to create music or to music in her own head or the sounds around her. I hope your daughter will have the opportunity to move and be inside her body that way…it is such a wonderful place to be!

It is so interesting that you chose this example. My daughter plays the piano beautifully and she is 100% self taught…she moves her body constantly while playing…she is also an animated speaker…she creates fashion pieces that would blow your mind and her water colour is full of abstract ideas and her anime is packed full of movement…I think for her, as crazy as it may sound, considering I am her mother, but she is inhibited and does not fully feel at home in her body YET…I believe it will come…

Moving from BC to Washington has been really hard on her…she feels out of place and ‘strange’. I have found a local community space…the Atrium, their tag line is “Enriching Lives Through Dancing and More”…and “Building Community-Inspiring Extraordinary Health-Restoring Our World”. Eden is desparate to find a sense of community in this new country we have moved to…so I am signing her up for West Coast swing classes with other local teens…then letting her decide whether or not she wants to go…cross your fingers!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your supportive nature and feedback! I have also felt somewhat isolated…even connecting with other like minded people through the net helps me feel…well…better 😉 …Salt Spring is such an unique community…it is hard to replace! From my heart to yours, Joy

1. Ruby says:

I am here in Victoria, and even I can feel isolated here with the ideas I carry and hold dear….I feel the connection tho to you also Joy….;) xoxo

Yes, that’s such a good point…I felt isolated while living in Victoria also….Salt Spring was very special..community, open mindeness as a way of life, organic food, yoga, also as a way of life, clothing optional beaches…ahh well….I am working on creating my own sense of community here on Camano Island….the Atrium is a part of my community I am needing to connect with! I think you’d like it! http://www.theatriumstanwood.com/localdancing

In Sensually Empowered Community, from my heart to yours, Joy