Guest Post: Being Naked

cropped-1-img_6993-web.jpg

It seems that being naked is quite a complicated matter. It can give a feeling of embarrassment, desire, lust, freedom, fear, allure, peace, panic and I could go on. As a child, you feel none of this at all and feel free to run around the house, the beach, the street completely naked as long as the temperature allows. When does this feeling stop? At what age and is it different for men and women? I can’t remember the age I began feeling embarrassed by my own nudity. I come from a shy conservative family so I imagine I was quite young.

Some people will lay scorn on the mother who let her child run naked, some will feel at ease, some will say, “how cute” and some will worry about predators particularly when abuse is such a publicized item. Surely none of this shame should be attributed to a child. Clothing has been around for thousands of years although an exact date is hard to find. Why did we start wearing clothes? Surely not because we ate the Apple of knowledge?

Clothes are not evil however and I think they serve a great purpose, but at the same time, we shouldn’t be ashamed. They keep us warm, protect us from the sun, keep nasty insects away and they can form our identity and make us unique. I love that we all look different in our clothes. Surely apart from slightly different shapes and sizes, we would look pretty much the same nude? Clothing is a point of interest to talk about and is an extension of our personality which I think is a great thing.

Nudity shouldn’t mean sex! The two should be separate. Some theories say that we can’t all be nude as it would lead to a hedonistic world of humans falling into temptation and having sex with everyone. I know this wouldn’t be the case for me having never had a one night stand. Would the population increase if we were all nude? Some of the sexual excitement comes from your partner slowly revealing their body? Would this be the same if we were all nude? Would we have playboy and the page 3 photos in the newspaper? I think such magazines wouldn’t be a loss.

Hopefully, people would feel far more confident? A theorist said that being naked for longer periods each day would gradually mean that person would feel comfortable naked. Many story’s you hear are from those embarrassing stories of those being caught naked. The boy or girl that accidentally loses their costume in the swimming pool, the person who forgets to take their towel to the shower, the boy who’s pants get pulled down for fun, the social etiquette of the sauna or Jacuzzi where some nations go nude and the times accidental nudity leads to sex. As I Said before it is very complicated.

Your family’s views on nudity will have an effect on the way you feel as will your culture. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in your own skin when alone because without this you will never feel comfort in front of others. The human body is beautiful whatever shape, colour, size, so do what you feel? Feel free in your mind and your body will follow.

Guest Post: by Lee Sinden

Bio: My name is Lee Sinden. I’m 31 and from the UK. I love writing particularly poetry and about my travels. I have opinions and interests in a wide range of topics although my passion is travel and film. I look forward to the future with my wife and hopefully children to follow. The dream to see the world in a beautiful VW Campervan. Read more…

1. Subhash Chander says:

Good sharing and open minded thoughts.

Thank you for opening dialogue! ❤

2. Esther says:

I wonder how many kids in America ran around naked inside their home? … I think you are assuming this is common when it may not have been.
    I never did. It was ALWAYS associated with shame ever since my birth. I was fully clothed unless taking a bath. I remember being 5 or 6, In a church with my mother. She would be horrified & would comment when she saw other children aged 2 and under with short dresses showing off their matching ruffled undies. By the time I was a teenager I felt so embarrassed and ashamed of being nude I was unable to change from day clothes to night clothes in the privacy of my own bedroom.

I did not write the post, Lee did, but my interpretation is that Lee is expressing that a child’s natural instinct is to be shameless about their bodies and that our parental influences begin to shape how we feel about our bodies. It is much to complex for me to even begin sharing the mixed message I received as a girl. Let’s just say my upbringing and subsequent transformation is one of my motivating factors. I enjoy helping people let go of shame around their bodies, sexuality and expression. I have worked with a number of religious leaders believe it or not. People from all walks of life struggle with issues connected to their sexuality, nudity, body image, etc. I so appreciate you sharing your story! I hope to continue this conversation as I feel it is an important one! From my heart to yours, Joy

2. sinnerz13 says:

Thank you for reading! I think there is a lot of shame associated with being naked even as a child. This is put on us from family, friends and adults. I still feel uncomfortable going topless on the beach, which is crazy really. This is also down to how I feel my body looks rather than what other people think.

3. Danee says:

And that attitude, compared with many Europeans, is exactly why N. American kids have all these hangups and insecurities. Its bad parenting, sorry.

Liked by 1 person

1. sinnerz13 says:

Thank you for your read! I cannot speak for Americans, but even in England who are less relaxed about nudity than Europe children are rarely shamed for being naked.

Liked by 1 person

3. Bare Beach Bum (@BareBeachBum) says:

I can definitely relate to what Lee wrote. I have grown to where I can be pretty much naked in any environment yet I still notice that I somewhat shelter myself when changing in the locker room. I even chuckle internally when I do this. I relate this to an innate shame that was instilled in me in middle school while in the locker room. Here is a place where being naked is allowed yet I’m the uncomfortable one. Go figure.

I applaud your on-going effort to release your shame and reclaim your body! Thank you for sharing and for encouraging Lee to continue expressing! From my heart to yours, Joy

Liked by 1 person

2. sinnerz13 says:

Thank you for your comments it is a subject that is very interesting. I think body shame is an important issue whether clothed or naked. People should just be comfortable with them selves and around others.

Liked by 2 people

1. Danee says:

the term, body shame is not something we are born with. Its engrained and its..wrong. Very, very wrong.

Liked by 1 person

I fully agree.

Liked by 1 person

I just posted a follow up post that was at least partially in response to the passion I felt in your response Danee. Thank you for inspiring! From my heart to yours, Joy

Liked by 1 person

4. sinnerz13 says:

Yes indeed! We are also taught to compare. Being too big, too small, wrong colour, ugly, pretty etc… rather than being physically and mentally well.

4. naturalian says:

Reblogged this on Naturalian's Blog and commented:
    I am happy being naked both alone and with others who are not naked.

5. kim Brown says:

I read this post and enjoyed it. I have an 8 year old boy who often sees me naked around the house. I’m quite happy with my nudity but feel that I should start covering up for his sake. My parents were always naked and took me and my brother to a nudist beach when we were teenagers!.. this was the most shameful experience of my life! (We kept our clothes on!) I go to a gym and at the pool/spa area there are plenty of individuals who like to wear very little.

Liked by 1 person

1. sinnerz13 says:

Thanks for reading 🙂 I agree with your sentiment. I think you need to go with what is comfortable and you also have to make sure your son is too without causing him to be ashamed of nudity.

2. Danee says:

You are happy, but feel that you should start covering up for his sake? Let’s look at that. Why? By doing so, it begins to unravel all the things you have taught him about his bod, other bods, and that it is ok and normal! It is part of the way kids and youth (not all, by any means) in America at least, learn bodyshame and all studies show, and I mean all, that kids who are raised with nudity at home being ok, grow up far better adjusted then those that are shamed. It does not mean you have to be a Nudist, let alone Naturist (there IS a difference), but simple at home occasional nudity? Its healthy!

In my life as a mother raising 4 children I gave birth to and 3 step children, I have found that as our kids grow into young adults it is important to respect their personal boundaries and comfort level. I find that incidental nudity is easier for young adults to relax around. Swimming, hiking topless on a hot day, attending a sweat, walking from my bedroom to the bathroom, etc. I think that each parent has to follow their heart and trust their intuition.

Liked by 1 person

6. Dark Model says:

I do believe that the same of nudity came from eating from the Tree of Knowledge. That said, I believe that the world would be a far better place if nudity were commonplace. It’s human nature, I think, to get hung up on everything that we make a taboo. Having lived in Europe, I can promise that there’s a way that society can see the nude body and not get caught up in sexual emotions… it just takes getting used to seeing the body in non-sexual contexts.

I’ve modeled nude for years and still have my insecurities. I’m less insecure about my insecurities, but they are still there. The difference is that I control them, they don’t control me, which is just as much emotionally beneficial as it is practical. For example, my parents were in town for my graduation ceremony, and my kid happened to have a nasty diaper blow-out in the room they were staying in… we were already running late and I had just dressed for my shower. I ended up cleaning her up, along with the soiled area, while completely nude in view of my dad and stepmom who hadn’t seen me naked since I was very young. It was embarrassing, facing them in all directions while nude… they might now know what I look like naked, but we made the ceremony on time… what was more important? My modesty, or getting to the graduation ceremony?

I love that you are empowered to be confident in your body, is is truly inspirational, thank you so much for sharing!

Liked by 1 person